17 October 2012
Poets Theater at SPT
As some of you might know, I'm on the board of Small Press Traffic, indisputably one of the most important literary organizations in the Bay Area. We're starting to prepare for Poets Theater 2013, and I thought to post the call here so it goes out far and wide. You DO NOT have to live in the Bay Area to propose a play, and we welcome participation from all walks of life! The "official" deadline for proposals was October 15th, but you know how poets are! If you get something in SOON, I'm sure you'll be fine! Here's the official call from SPT Executive Director extraordinaire Samantha Giles:
Hey you out there: It's Poets Theater Open Call Time!!!!
Poets Theater is an annual festival in which innovative works are performed, enduring avant-garde plays showcased, and the boundaries of theater generally jostled by artists and writers in collaboration to ask questions around and negotiate the possibilities of poetics of and in performance.
This year we are, once again, happy to announce two evenings of new plays slated for January 18th and 19th 2013 at CounterPulse!
Most importantly, we want you to be involved by contributing a performance to this year’s events.
Contributions can range from brief plays to improvised performance to participatory instructional pieces to cross-genre collaboration – or anything you might discover between or beyond those suggestions.
You've got 10 minutes: be astonishing!
We won’t be able to offer payment for your participation, but the experience of the festival affords communion, conversation, sometimes a little collusion and always a lot of fun. We, of course, would love to accept every proposal we receive, but sadly only have room for two nights of performances.
The process goes like this:
1) you send us a brief proposal for what you'd like to do following the guidelines below; then
2) we will review the submissions and notify you by November 1st regarding your proposal and next steps including the deadline for the full text of the play on December 1st
1. All proposals must be submitted by October 15th to firstname.lastname@example.org and must adhere to the full guidelines.
2. Proposals must be no longer than one typed 8.5×11 page of text.
3. Proposals must be for performances that will not exceed 10 minutes in length.
4. Proposals should include the following:
a. a basic idea (with maybe some lines of dialogue);
b. general technical needs for the performance (music, lighting , props etc.);
c. number of performers; and,
d. if you are unable to attend but would like to send in a proposal for others to perform on your behalf, a suggestion for a director/performers.
5. Proposals should reflect the constraint of the performance space, which has a limited area and minimal lighting, and minimal rehearsal access.
We are so excited to collaborate with you! Please feel free to e-mail email@example.com with questions! We look forward to hearing from you.
The SPT PT 13 Committee (Samantha Giles, Sara Wintz, Lauren Shufran and Megan Camille Roy)
Visit Small Press Traffic's website here!