08 January 2012

Favorite Things 2011: Brent Cunningham


In poetry & fiction books there were many great titles this year, thru and not thru SPDit really did seem like a banner year for our corner of literature. Off the top of the brain: Brandon Brown's The Poems of Gaius Valerius Catullus, Rosmarie Waldrop's Driven to Abstraction, Anna Moschovakis' You and Three Others Are Approaching a Lake, Renee Gladman's Ravickians series (& actually all five of the first five Dorothy titles), Julian Brolaski's gowanus atropolis, Joseph Mulligan's translation of Cesar Vallejo's Against Professional Secrets, Mimeo Mimeo (Issue 5 was an especial revelation), Bernadette Mayer's Studying Hunger Journals, Steve Farmer's glowball, Samantha Giles' Hurdis Addo, Cedar Sigo's Stranger in Town, Ed Roberson's To See the Earth Before the End of the World, Kenning Anthology of Poets Theater, much much else.

In nonfiction, it was the year of David Graeber for me. Both Direct Action and Debt: The First 5,000 Years have been tremendously enjoyable and clarifying guides during this Season of Occupy.

In tv, which took up much of my 2011, I can't vouch for much as I generally use it to turn my brain off. But, if you can take extreme humor, Louie C.K.'s Louie is a special show with some real artistic merits.

In movies, I mostly watched things appropriate for 4 year olds. Hence I am expecting the Muppets to win best picture of 2011. Apparently they did make films for grown ups this year, I hear tell.

In art, it was a lovely summer discovering & exploring hanne darboven's work; also spent a lot of time thinking about Twombly as he shuffled off the coil.

In bicycling, I discovered gloves are a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment